Another beautiful book.
1. The Contemplative Tradition: Discovering The Prayer-Filled Life
2. The Holiness Tradition: Discovering The Virtuous Life
3. The Charismatic Tradition: Discovering the Spirit-Empowered Life
4. The Social Justice Tradition: Discovering The Compassionate Life
5. The Evangelical Tradition: Discovering The Word-Centered Life
6. The Incarnational Tradition: Discovering The Sacramental Life
Should a healthy Christianity have all of these streams? To do them all; is it to do any one of them well? Mediocre communities, bearing no vision.
To do what we love, with a great heart of acceptance toward those who are doing what they love may be the goal.
Convergence: A river is coming from the streams.
Do we need a big Church to embody it all, or a big Heart?
“The great thing, if one can, is to sop regarding all the unpleasant things as interruptions of one’s ‘own’ or ‘real’ life. The truth is of course that twaht one calls the interruptions are precisely one’s real life – the life God is sending one day by day: what one calls one’s ‘real life’ is a phantom of one’s own imagination.” C.S. Lewis, in his letters to Arthur Greeves.
What a rich book; brings so much together.