Asking the right questions before getting married can make a great relationship grow into a thriving marriage.
There are literally hundreds of questions a young couple can use to get to the heart of one another – and to help them step into a healthy marriage.
Turn off Netlix and spend the time talking. Here are just a few questions to use when out on a date night or spending some time together. (Some questions are based on this article from Bride magazine.)
- What are you looking for most in our relationship?
- What do you think about us having children?
- How will we do relationships with each other’s side of the family?
- What kind of spiritual life would we like to nurture together?
- What does sex mean to you, and how will we grow together over a lifetime?
- What do you think about saving money? What kinds of things should we spend money on?
- When we have conflicts, how will we handle them?
- What makes you happy?
- What are you afraid of?
- Is there anything you’d like to talk about, but it feels hard and awkward?
- How can I be a better friend to you?
- What could you keep working on that would help us grow stronger together? How can I help?
- Is there any physical or mental health issue you need help with? How can I help?
There are many more, and I’ll add to this list as time goes on.
Asking the right questions, and spending time going deep on the answers, is worth it.
And Premarital Counseling? I can’t recommend it enough. And it’s good if it take months, and even a year!
If you are engaged, and you haven’t done premarital counseling yet, make it your #1 priority!
Marriage is a marathon, and it takes good training to start and finish well. How a marriage starts, it will grow.
Other Articles In The Relationship Series